If you are considering dental implants to replace missing teeth, scheduling a consultation with an implant specialist is an important first step. At Lansdowne Family Dental, our experienced implant dentists will evaluate your candidacy help you prepare for an implant appointment, and understand the procedure from start to finish.
This in-depth guide covers everything you need to know to prepare for your dental implant consultation with our team.
What to Expect at Your Dental Implant Consultation
During your appointment, our implant specialist will:
- Review your medical and dental history in detail
- Discuss your goals for treatment and concerns
- Perform a comprehensive oral exam looking at your teeth, gums, bone structure, and bite
- Take radiographs like panoramic X-rays to visualize your underlying bone health
- Discuss treatment options and recommended implant type/locations based on your case
- Explain the surgical procedure, technology used, and estimated timeline
- Provide a detailed overview of costs and financing options
We want you to feel comfortable asking any questions you may have about the safety, procedure, recovery, or results of dental implants. Our team is committed to patient education and transparency regarding implant dentistry.
How to Prepare for Your Teeth Implant Consultation
To make sure your appointment is as productive as possible, follow these tips:
- Gather Relevant Medical Information
We will ask for your medical history including:
- Current health conditions and medications
- Prior surgeries
- History of periodontal disease
- Family history of dental issues
Having this information available will save time and assist us in evaluating your candidacy.
- Undergo Necessary Dental Work Before Your Consultation
It’s best to take care of any dental treatment you may need well in advance of implants. This includes fillings, root canals, gum care, and removing any compromised teeth. Starting the implant process with optimal oral health will give you the highest chance of success.
- Stop Unhealthy Habits
Smoking, vaping, smokeless tobacco use, and excessive alcohol consumption all negatively impact dental implant treatment. Be ready to discuss your willingness to quit these habits for the health of your implants. We can point you towards helpful resources.
- Consider Temporary Tooth Replacement Options
If you are missing teeth currently, think about whether you want to use temporary options like dentures or partials before the implants are placed. We will discuss the pros and cons of interim solutions at your visit.
Jot down any particular concerns you want to address like cost, number of appointments needed, or implant maintenance requirements. Let us know what functional and aesthetic outcomes you hope to achieve.
- Bring Someone Along for Support
Having a trusted friend or family member join you helps ensure you retain all the information provided. Feel free to bring them along to your dental implant consultation.
What We Look for in Potential Candidates
To determine if you are ready for dental implants, our specialist will assess:
- Your jawbone volume and density at the implant site(s)
- The health of your gums and whether periodontal disease is present
- Spacing issues and whether teeth need to be extracted before placement
- Occlusion (bite alignment) which must be properly balanced
- Whether you have adequate keratinized gingiva (gum tissue)
- Oral hygiene habits and ability to maintain the implants
- Commitment to any needed lifestyle changes like smoking cessation
- Overall health conditions and medications that may interfere with the implants
- Anatomical obstacles like nerves or sinuses must be avoided
Even if you have complicating factors, specialized implant protocols can often overcome them. Our goal is to customize a treatment that works within your unique oral environment.
Lansdowne Family Dental: Experienced Implant Dentistry Close to Home
At Lansdowne Family Dental, dental implants are one of our specialties. Our doctors have years of experience placing and restoring implants. We provide our community with expertise and advanced technology rivaling larger city practices.
Some key benefits we offer implant patients:
- One-on-one consultations with an implant specialist
- Advanced 3D CT scans for precision planning
- Computer-guided implant surgery when indicated
- In-office implant placements for your comfort and convenience
- Coordination with specialists like periodontists or oral surgeons if needed
- Expert restorations including crowns, bridges, and dentures over implants
- Professional maintenance care for optimal implant longevity
We make implant treatment efficient, affordable, and successful for our patients. Contact our friendly team today to schedule your consultation. Discover how we can restore your smile with beautiful, permanent dental implants!