As a leading dental implant provider in the area, Lansdowne Family Dental encourages patients to be informed and ask the right questions before getting dental implants. Implants are a big investment in your oral health and choosing the right dental implant specialist is key to getting successful, long-lasting results.
Below are some of the most important questions to ask your potential implant dentist during a consultation:
Evaluating the Dentist’s Training and Experience
- Are you a prosthodontist or periodontist? These dental specialists have 2-3 years of additional training specific to dental implants.
- How many years have you been placing dental implants? Look for 5+ years of specialized training and experience.
- Approximately how many implants have you placed in your career? Experience with 100+ implants is preferred.
- What professional organizations are you a member of? Membership in the American Academy of Implant Dentistry demonstrates a commitment to continuing education.
- Do you place both the implant and the crown yourself? Some general dentists refer patients to specialists for parts of treatment.
Understanding the Implant Procedure
- What type of dental implants and materials do you use? Quality implant brands like Nobel Biocare or Straumann lead to better longevity.
- Will I need a bone graft or sinus lift before getting implants? This determines how invasive the procedure will be.
- Do you use guided implant surgery? This 3D planning leads to more precise implant placement.
- Do you place the implant and crown in separate visits or all at once? Staged treatment often leads to better integration and healing.
- How long will the implant process take from start to finish? Expect 3-9 months for full treatment.
Evaluating the Dentist’s Support Staff and Services
- Do you have an onsite lab for custom crowns/bridges? In-office labs enable a seamless implant-to-crown process.
- Who will design and manufacture my dental implant restoration? Experienced technicians are key for natural-looking, functional crowns/bridges.
- Do you provide IV sedation or other relaxation options? This can help anxious patients through implant surgery.
- Does your office offer dental financing or payment plans? Implant treatment can cost $3,000-$6,000 or more.
Assessing the Dentist’s Success Rates
- What is your dental implant survival rate? A 95% – 98% success rate over 5+ years is ideal. Lower rates indicate issues.
- How often do you treat implant complications like infections, fractures, or rejections? Infrequent issues signify skill and care.
- Do you provide implant case photos that I can view? Seeing past work helps evaluate the dentist’s aesthetic skills.
- May I speak with former implant patients about their experiences? Talking to real patients can offer reassurance.
- How do you support implant restorations for long-term success? Regular implant checkups and maintenance are key.
Confirming Your Candidacy for Implants
- Am I a good candidate for dental implants based on my dental and health history? The dentist should thoroughly review this with you.
- Will I need a CT scan or other imaging to evaluate my bone density and anatomy? This gives the dentist crucial information for implant placement.
- What preparation is needed before my implant procedure? You may need grafting or extractions done first before implants.
- Do you foresee any complications or difficulties with my particular implant case? It’s better to know about potential issues upfront.
Understanding Post-Procedure Care and Follow-Up Visits
- What instructions and medications will I receive after my implant placement? Post-op care is vital to proper healing.
- When can I resume my normal diet and other daily activities? Your dentist will advise on eating, brushing, and lifestyle after implants.
- How often will I need to come in for follow-up appointments? Expect visits 1-2 weeks after implant surgery and restoration.
- How do I properly care for my implant restoration? Your dentist should review oral hygiene and check for problems.
- How often should I have my dental implants examined in the long run? You’ll need continued regular checkups and cleanings.
Addressing Financial Concerns
- What is the cost of my custom implant treatment plan? Get an itemized estimate accounting for all steps.
- Do you offer in-house payment plans or financing options? Many implant providers work with third-party lenders like CareCredit.
- Is implant treatment covered by my dental insurance? Get pre-approval to understand your policy’s implant coverage.
- Are there any cost-saving options to reduce my out-of-pocket expenses? Some providers offer discounts for same-day implant crowns.
- Are there affordable alternatives if implants are beyond my budget? Discuss dentures, bridges, and partials as lower-cost options.
Choosing the Right Implant Specialist for You
Selecting the right implant dentist involves careful research and asking the right questions during your consultation. Be sure to assess their training, experience, services, success rates, and comfort level before moving forward with treatment.
Lansdowne Family Dental has placed thousands of dental implants with excellent long-term outcomes. Contact us today to schedule your comprehensive implant consultation!