Snoring is a common issue that can disrupt sleep and create relationship problems. Many snorers feel embarrassed and frustrated that something as simple as breathing loudly at night can cause such issues.
If you or your partner snore, you may be wondering if clear aligners like Invisalign can help. At Lansdowne Family Dental, we understand the problems snoring can cause. Read on as we explore the connection between Invisalign, straightened teeth, and reduced snoring.
What Causes Snoring and How Common Is It?
Snoring occurs when airflow is obstructed as you breathe during sleep. As you fall into deeper sleep, the muscles in the roof of your mouth (soft palate), throat, and tongue relax. This narrowing of your airways causes tissues to vibrate and creates that loud, disruptive snore noise.
Here are some statistics on snoring and its causes:
- Over 90 million Americans snore – 37 million snore regularly
- Men are twice as likely to snore as women – This may be due to having narrower airways
- Weight gain increases snoring – Extra tissue and fat constrict airways even more
Common causes of snoring include:
- Sleeping on your back
- Enlarged tissues in the nose, throat, or tongue
- Poor muscle tone in the throat, tongue
- Misaligned jaw or teeth
So if you snore loudly or your partner elbows you at night to “roll over”, you’re not alone!
The Impact of Snoring on Health and Quality of Life
Disruptive snoring doesn’t just annoy your bed partner and deprive them of sleep. It affects the snorer’s health too. Let’s look at some of the ways that snoring causes problems:
|Prevents REM sleep, leaves you tired
|Strains the heart by reducing oxygen, causing arrhythmias
|High Blood Pressure
|Repeated drops of oxygen trigger the release of hormones that affect blood pressure
|Lack of quality sleep impacts focus, memory and thinking skills
|Too tired to exercise, alters metabolism
|From losing oxygen and sleep deprivation
The takeaway is that snoring should never be ignored or considered just a nuisance. It’s your body signaling that something is interfering with breathing! Treating snoring improves health for both the snorer and their partner.
Social and Relationship Strain
In addition to health consequences, snoring takes a toll on relationships and social lives:
- Partners argue over losing sleep
- Partners get headaches from noise & vibration
- Must sleep in separate bedrooms
- Feel embarrassed having sleepovers
- Don’t travel together due to snoring complaints
- Low energy hurts social life
Rather than strain your closest relationship or require your partner to sleep in another room, treatment is the best solution!
Can Invisalign Help Improve Breathing and Reduce Snoring?
So how exactly does Invisalign treatment straighten teeth and improve breathing?
Invisalign clear aligners from Align Technology are an alternative to traditional metal braces that gently shift your teeth into correct, functional alignment over months of treatment.
- Custom aligners made specifically for your teeth
- BPA-free clear plastic blends in beautifully
- Removable for eating, brushing, flossing
- Smooth without metal brackets or wires
- Won’t irritate cheeks and gums
Invisalign’s advanced computer imaging plans out minor tooth movements in stages. Each set of aligners moves you closer to straight, aligned teeth and an improved bite.
As Invisalign aligns and levels your teeth, it can also widen the spacing between top and bottom arches. This creates more room in your airway and throat to breathe easier.
Invisalign Features That Improve Breathing and Reduce Snoring
- Expands arch width for a wider airway
- Corrects overbites and crossbites
- Advances underdeveloped jaws
- Trains tongue to position properly
With straighter teeth, a wider arch, and leveled jaws, excess soft tissues in the throat area subside. This allows maximum airflow with minimal vibration or snoring noise.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Anti-Snoring Invisalign?
While most people can benefit from a straighter, healthier smile, certain issues make you a good candidate to use Invisalign specifically to alleviate snoring and sleep apnea.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Do you snore loudly regularly?
- Has your snoring worsened recently?
- Do you wake up tired despite 7+ hours of sleep?
- Does your partner complain about your snoring?
- Have you gained weight in the last year?
- Do you sleep with your mouth open?
If you answered YES to some of these questions about sleep quality and snoring, Invisalign can likely help resolve the issues.
Ideal Candidates for Anti-Snoring Invisalign
- Mild to moderate sleep apnea sufferers
- Have overcrowded, crooked teeth
- Struggle with tongue thrusting
- Have narrow upper and lower jaws
- Experience daytime fatigue, headaches, concentration/memory issues
- Gained weight and snore more loudly
Schedule an Invisalign consultation to learn if you’re a good candidate for resolving sleep disorders through an improved aligned bite!
Transform Your Smile. Improve Your Sleep.
If you or your partner lose sleep from annoying snoring every night, it takes a physical and emotional toll. Rather than harming relationships, health, and quality of life – take action through innovative Invisalign treatment.
Invisalign’s clear “invisible” aligners gently straighten teeth and expand jaws over time. As teeth shift into correct alignment, excess tissue subsides, and breathing passages open. The results are transformational:
- Reduced vibrations and snoring
- Corrected bite alignment
- Confident, radiant smile
- Healthier sleep patterns
- Renewed energy and wellness
You have the power to remedy disrupted, unhealthy sleep by realigning your teeth with Invisalign treatment. Schedule a no-obligation Invisalign consultation today with Lansdowne Family Dental by calling us Discover how we can help you achieve reduced snoring and happier, healthier sleep!