Losing a tooth can be devastating. It affects your smile, your confidence, and even your health. At Lansdowne Family Dental, we understand how important it is to replace missing teeth. That’s why we specialize in dental implants and abutments. As the leading dental implant provider in the area, we have the skills and experience to give you back your smile.
What is a Dental Implant Abutment?
A dental implant abutment is a component that connects the dental implant to the visible crown. It’s an essential part of the dental implant system.
There are several types of abutments:
- Stock abutment: This is a pre-made abutment that comes in standard shapes and sizes. It’s usually made of titanium.
- Custom abutment: This is specially designed and crafted for the individual patient. It’s molded precisely to match the implant and surrounding teeth.
- UCLA abutment: This type has a screw that goes through the abutment and directly into the implant. It allows for a simpler process.
- Angled abutment: This is used when the implant is placed at an angle and needs a bend to allow for the proper positioning of the crown.
Why Dental Implant Abutments Are Important
Dental implant abutments serve several important functions:
- They provide support for the artificial crown that will replace the missing tooth.
- They create a solid connection between the implant and the crown.
- They transfer chewing forces from the crown to the dental implant.
- They shape the gums around the implant site.
- They enable the artificial tooth to look, feel, and function like a real tooth.
Proper selection and placement of the abutment are critical for the long-term success of dental implants.
How We Determine the Best Abutment Solution
Choosing the right abutment is an important part of the treatment planning process. At Lansdowne Family Dental, we take great care in selecting the ideal abutment for your needs.
We start by taking detailed 3D scans of your mouth with advanced digital imaging technology. This gives us an in-depth view of your unique anatomy.
Next, we consider several factors:
- The position and angle of your implanted post
- The amount of space between your implant and neighboring teeth
- The shape of your surrounding teeth
- Your facial aesthetics and smile line
- Your bite and occlusion with the opposite teeth
With this data, we can design an abutment that perfectly fits your mouth’s structure. CAD/CAM technology allows us to customize the abutment very precisely.
We also take into account what you want your new tooth to look like. Do you prefer a metal base or an all-ceramic one? Should the crown be zirconia or porcelain? Your input is valuable.
Ultimately, our goal is to craft an abutment that provides exceptional function and aesthetics.
Our Abutment Solutions for Different Tooth Locations
The position of the missing tooth is an important factor we consider when selecting the appropriate dental implant abutment. Our experienced dentists have successfully treated cases with implants and custom abutments in all areas of the mouth.
Front Teeth Abutments
Replacing missing front teeth with natural-looking dental implant crowns requires an artistic eye. We excel at crafting exquisitely designed abutments and crowns for missing upper and lower incisors.
Premolar areas see high biting forces. We choose abutments for missing premolars that provide durability and support for long-term function.
Molars support the most chewing pressure. Precision-milled ceramic, gold, or titanium abutments on molar implants allow for proper bite strength.
Multiple Tooth Abutments
Full bridges placed on multiple implants demand careful abutment planning. We select the perfect combination of abutments to anchor full bridges and provide an ideal framework.
All-on-4 abutments secure a full arch of teeth to 4-6 strategically placed implants. We are experts in All-on-4 abutment selection for optimal results.
Regardless of which teeth are missing, we can provide the ideal implant abutment solutions to restore your smile and oral health.
Our Dental Implant Abutment Process
We make sure every part of your abutment and crown process is seamless. Here’s what you can expect when you visit Lansdowne Family Dental for abutment placement:
Step 1: Implant Placement
If you don’t already have your implant, we’ll surgically place your dental implant to serve as the root for your new tooth. Titanium implants fuse securely to your jawbone through osseointegration.
Step 2: Healing Period
We allow time, usually several months, for full healing and integration of your implant with the bone. This ensures your implant is strong and stable enough to support your new crown.
Step 3: Abutment Selection
Once your implant is ready, we’ll select the ideal abutment based on our assessment of your case. We’ll also show you abutment samples so you can visualize the final result.
Step 4: Abutment Attachment
We securely attach your custom-designed abutment to your implant. This may be done immediately or after a period with a temporary abutment.
Step 5: Crown Placement
Finally, we design and attach a custom crown to your abutment that looks, feels, and functions like a natural tooth. It will match your surrounding teeth and complete your smile.
Benefits of Our Dental Implant Abutments
Some key benefits you’ll enjoy with our dental implant abutment solutions include:
- Natural looking and functioning: Our custom abutments and crowns are indistinguishable from your natural teeth.
- Optimal support: Our abutments securely attach the implant and crown for healthy chewing and biting.
- Precision fit: We use advanced technology to fabricate abutments that fit precisely in your mouth.
- Durability: The high-grade materials we use resist chipping, fracturing, and decay.
- Biocompatibility: Our abutments are made from titanium or zirconia to avoid rejection or capsular contracture in your gums.
- Permanence: Unlike bridges or dentures, your implants and abutments won’t slip or require adhesives.
- Bone preservation: Implants prevent bone loss compared to missing teeth.
- Improved health: Implants are better for your health than missing or diseased teeth.
Why Choose Lansdowne Family Dental for Your Implant Abutment?
When you need an implant abutment, you deserve the best care available. At Lansdowne Family Dental, we are committed to your optimal dental health and appearance.
As the top dental implant provider in the area, we have placed hundreds of implants and abutments with outstanding results. Patients travel from throughout the region to receive treatment from our experts.
We stay current on the latest techniques in implant dentistry through advanced training and education. Our doctors have specialized expertise in complex procedures like dual implants, All-on-4, and Teeth-in-an-Hour.
Our state-of-the-art facility provides meticulous, gentle care in a welcoming setting. We also offer sedation to keep you comfortable.
Most importantly, we listen to our patients and treat them like family. Your satisfaction is our top priority. We’ll work closely with you to create a treatment plan that meets your needs, timeline, and budget.
Don’t wait to regain your confident smile. Experience the difference of a highly skilled implant team at Lansdowne Family Dental. Call today to schedule your consultation.